Best Home Preserving Equipment – Canning
Our Best Canning Equipment
Reviews for 2021
In truth, the only thing more important than cooking food is preserving it properly. Accordingly, there are many methods used to process food and one of the most popular is canning.
When researching the best canning equipment you must look at both water bath canners and pressure canners.
Our expert preservers have conducted extensive tests on the best water bath canners and best home pressure canners. Their opinions on each machine are listed below.
Best Water Bath Canners
Best Overall Water Bath Canner – Granite Ware Water Bath Canner
Best Value Water Bath Canner – McSunley 620 Water Bath Canner
Best Seller Water Bath Canner – RSVP International Endurance Water Bath Canner
Best Large Water Bath Canner – Ball Elite Collection Water Bath Canner
Best Overall Pressure Canner – Granite Ware 20 Quart Pressure Canner
Best Selling Pressure Canner – All American 21.5 Quart Pressure Canner
Best Multipurpose Pressure Canner – Presto 23 Quart Pressure Canner
Best Budget Pressure Canner – Mirro 22 Quart Pressure Canner
Best Electric Pressure Canner For Beginners – Carey Smart Pressure Canner
Best Water Bath Canners For Home Preserving
So, you’re a relative newcomer to the canning method of food preservation?
Here at Best Home Preserving we believe it is easiest and best to start simple.
Using a water bath canner is just like using a regular stockpot.
However, preserving food at home does require some specialised knowledge.
As with anything, all home preserving equipment has unique features.
This is no different when looking for the best water bath canners to buy.
Here are our 5 Best Water Bath Canners for 2021.
Our 5 Best Bath Water Canners
Simple yet effective! It’s nothing fancy but overall it gets the job done. A great place to start on your home canning journey.
- The Granite Ware Water Bath Canner features a porcelain exterior and an interior made from steel.
- Truly verstile, it can be used with both gas and electric stovetops.
- It comes with a stainless steel rack.
- Dishwasher safe.
- 21.5-quarts capacity.
- Not recommended for glass cooktops.
Made from safe stainless steel with a large capacity this is a great budget choice for your family. The large canning pot can also be used as a regular pot to cook family meals in.
- The McSunley Water Bath Canner has a stainless-steel body that promises durability and resistance to corrosion.
- Its flat bottom base allows for seamless temperature control.
- A heavy-duty rack holds 12 1/2 pint jars or 7 1 quart jars.
- Stainless steel stay-cool handles.
- 21.5-quarts capacity ensures its place in our best canning equipment.
- Shatter-resistant glass lid for easy visibility during the canning process.
- 10 year manufacturers warranty
- Solid construction ensures generations of use.
- Won’t chip or dent.
- Can be used as a regular stockpot for large family meals.
We love this canner because of its versatility and 10 year manufacturers warranty. This ensures peace of mind. It can be used with any cooker types including electric, glass, and gas stovetops.
Solid construction and ease of use put it high on our list of best value for money water bath canners.
If ease of use and safety is a priority for you then look no further. This large water canner is made of stainless steel and has a rack deisgned for easy removal.
- The RSVP International Endurance Water Bath Canner has a durable stainless-steel body.
- Tri-ply base ensures fast and even heating.
- Tempered glass lid with an in-built steam vent.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- 20-quarts capacity.
- Includes a 7-jar canning rack to hold pint or quart jars
- Allows for optimum water circulation around the jars.
- Easy removal of hot jars as the rack hooks onto the pots edge.
The standout feature of this canner is its solid construction and uniquely designed canning rack. The versatile rack can accommodate up to 7 jars and holds them apart during processing. This easily makes it one of the best water bath canners.
If you are just beginning on your home canning journey but want a quality water bath canner then this piece of equipment is what you need. It has all the qualities of a great canner without the heavy price tag.
- The Roots & Branches Harvest Multi-Use Canner is made from heavy-duty stainless steel.
- Its clad bottom provides very efficient and even heating.
- Unlike other brands it can be used on any cooktop, including induction.
- Rack is also stainless steel construction with hooks to allow for water and steam canning.
- In-built altitude thermometer to allow precise canning.
- The lid is made from tempered glass
- 20-quarts capacity.
- 5-year warranty.
- Stay-cool handles.
- Use the pot to cook large family meals as well as preserving.
The unique and stand-out feature of the Roots & Branches Harvest is the altitude thermometer. In fact, it is the only canner in our best water bath canners to have a thermometer.
Make sure you have the correct temperature for preserving at any altitude. Add in its solid construction and 5 year warranty for a winner in the best water bath canners list.
Performance and premium quality features is what you will get with this water bath canner. A long lasting piece of equipment that will allow you to preserve at home for years to come.
- The Ball Elite Collection Water Bath Canner is made from durable stainless steel.
- Triple layered base of aluminium and stainless steel for fast and even heating.
- Trusted Ball brand.
- Atop this canner is a tempered glass lid to prevent breakage.
- Steam vents allow for easy viewing during the canning process.
- Chrome-plated rack included.
- The canner can be used on all stovetops.
- Comfortable silicone handles.
- 21-quarts capacity.
- Easy to clean.
The Ball Elite Water Bath Canner is such an iconic brand in home preserving equipment. With its durable construction and capacity for up to 7 quart-sized jars, it easily joins our best canning equipment.
Best Pressure Canners For Home Food Preserving
Home pressure canning is the ideal and safest method for preserving food products like vegetables, meat, seafood and poultry with low acid levels.
It is essential to process these foods with a home pressure canner to eliminate the risk of Botulism poisoning. This being the case, make sure you read all instructions if using a home pressure canner for the first time.
Modern pressure canners are fairly simple to use for home preserving and can often be used as a pressure cooker.
Alternatively, leave the lid unlocked and vents open to use as a water bath canner.
Here are our 6 Best Pressure Canners for preserving food at home in 2021.
Our 5 Best Pressure Canners
Best Overall Pressure Canner – Granite Ware 20 Quart Pressure Canner
A professional-quality pressure canner that is easy to use and produces great outcomes. Due to the great quality of material used this can be used both as a pressure cooker and steamer as well as using it as a pressure canner.
- Professional-quality, heavy-duty anodized aluminium which is ultra-durable
- Can be used as a Pressure Cooker and a Steamer
- Stainless steel lid with cool-touch handles to allow easy manuevering
- Holds 7 quart jars or 8 pint jars
- Adjustable regulator system which can be set for variable pressures allowing for the preserving of all food types
- Pop-up pressure indicator which also safely locks the lid in place
- Central steam vent with 2 additional safety valves, one of which will whistle if there is a problem
- Canning rack to keep bottles off the bottom of the pot is included
- Steamer insert included, which fits into the stepped section of the canning pot.
Made of durable, hand-cast aluminum with a easy to read steam guage this machine offers the safest method for canning at home. Can large quantities of food at home for your family.
The All American pressure canning range offer the only metal-to-metal sealing system for added safety, durability and lack of replacement parts such as gaskets.
- Durable, satin-finished, hand-cast aluminium for easy cleaning
- 21.5 quart capacity to hold 7 quart jars or 19 pint jars
- Can also be used as a Pressure Cooker for delicious and tender meat dishes
- Exclusive “metal-to-metal” sealing system which requires no gaskets to clean or replace
- Safe and easy lid placement with 6 clamping wing nuts to allow easy closing and opening
- Accurate pressure control via an easily readable pressure gauge
- Automatic over-pressure release
- Variable pressure settings – 5, 10 or 15 psi
Get the best bang for your buck by using this as a pressure canner as well as a pressure cooker.
The Presto pressure canner takes out our Best Multipurpose Pressure Canning System as it can also be used for Pressure Cooking delicious food and as a Water Bath Canning Stockpot!
- Made from heavy-gauge aluminium this stockpot is warp-resistant and offers economical heating
- Presto offer an extended 12-year limited warranty on this product
- Can be used on gas, electric or smooth-top cooking surfaces
- An extra large pot can hold 24 half-pint jars, 20 pint jars or 7 quart jars
- Variable uses including as a Pressure Cooker for deliciously tender meats, or for preserving food using the Water Bath Method of food preservation
- Controlling pressure is a breeze with the deluxe dial pressure gauge
- Built in safety with the cover lock and air vent to ensure the lid closes properly and cannot be removed until the pressure is released
- Canning rack included to keep bottles off the bottom of the pot
- Full instruction and recipe book included
Cook delicious meals and can food in this pressure canner. Four pressure safety systems prevent any over pressurizing which makes it one of the safest pressure canners.
Our Best Budget Pressure Canner which has a limited 1 year warranty for replacement parts and limited 10 year warranty on the pot.
A fantastic, durable food pressure canner without all the bells and whistles.
- Heavy gauge aluminium stockpot provides durability and ease of heating, saving in energy costs
- Large size to hold 7 quart jars, 16 pint jars or 26 half pint jars if double stacked
- Available in other sizes but we think this is the most useful
- 3 cooking pressure options – 5, 10 or 15 psi
- Sure locking lid system
- Side pressure gasket release
- Limited 1 year warranty for replacement parts
- Limited 10 year warranty for the pressure canner
- Cooking rack included
- Comprehensive user guide with delicious recipes included
A perfect balance between safety, performance, and versatility. This pressure canner will soon become one of your favorite kitchen appliances.
- The body of the Carey Smart Pressure Canner is impressive.
- The outer frame is made from stainless steel and the inner pot from aluminum.
- This creates the perfect blend of durability and lightness.
- Pressure canner or cooker, water bath canner, slow cooker and steam cooker for true versatility.
- Multiple safety measures including lid lock protection, temperature control, pressure control, fuse protection, and an anti-block filter.
- It also has an automatic pressure release.
- Preset programs make it ideal for beginners
- Multi-functional digital display to ensure results.
- 10 psi and 15 psi limiting valves.
The Carey Smart Pressure Canner & Cooker wins our Best Pressure Canner For Beginners. With easy digital and preset programs this small but powerful unit delivers consistent results everytime.